Thursday, June 30, 2011

Untitled

So I have noticed an interested phenomena in a lot of Jesus followers, having a fear of God. Not the biblical fear which denotes an awe inspired and reverent position toward God, which most people still don't possess, but I am talking more about people being afraid of God. Now on one side it's fair to argue that because of His standing we should be afraid of Him, but that's not based in scripture so I won't even give that any weight.
In our dealings with God there is often a subconscious tendency toward having to cover our back sides in case God feels like spanking us or put another way, something bad happens. Now that's kind of a contrary opinion to what the scripture says. In the Testaments it talks of God as a father, a brother, a rear guard. And not to get it confused, but none of those positions are spoken of and testified to in a negative way.
The one that most intrigues me is the rear guard. That's kind of a foreign concept to modern folk and even more so when we have no military background. Well from what I have heard, the rear guard were the soldiers who trailed behind, pretty self explanatory but the wonderful element is that it means that God has our back. Now I may be unique but that makes me tingle. Putting it another way, for a small business to get started there needs to be a financial backer who believes in the company and those who are in charge of it. Now God is the one who is supposed to be in charge of our lives, but the principle still applies. I really like that the creator of all that we have has my back.
I also realized that because he has our back protected we are not provided with any protection for our backs amongst the armor of God. I have always heard that we weren't given back covering so that we couldn't run away, and still agree with that but we don't need to run away if God is protecting that part of us.
I may be way out in left field on this one, but going from the scriptures I don't think I am. Moses spent 80 days with God on the mountain and it is said that he saw Him face to face. Now that's a relationship that I would love to have!
I can't say that I don't have a fear of God, but He keeps proving Himself as the faithful, loving and just One. All attributes that He operates in perfectly and at the same time. I don't know how but I love it because God isn't in a box. So live in awe of Him, but don't be afraid that He is going to just snap on you and begin making your life a hell on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment