Saturday, May 28, 2011

a pathetic perfection etc.

perfect
1. conforming absolutely to the description or definition of anideal type
2. excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement
3. exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose
4. entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings
5. accurate, exact, or correct in every detail
6. thorough; complete
7. pure or unmixed
8. unqualified; absolute
9. expert; accomplished; proficient.
10. unmitigated; out-and-out; of an extreme degree

*Courtesy of Dictionary.com. There were a few more definitions but I thought that this sufficed. Examples are also available on the website if you want them.

In an effort of trying to be fair and balanced I admit that I do this to, but I hear a lot of times that people will say that something is "perfect." Now I have no real grasp on what perfection actually is because only God is perfect in this day but I know it is infinitely better than anything that we can accomplish or imagine. I am guessing when people say it they aren't really saying that it is perfect but probably more just good enough to their expectations, think definition #3. But that's not perfect, and thinking that is sort of like taking a crap on true perfection. 
I don't like settling on something just because it is widely accepted and used, even by me and really to degrade infinite and ultimate perfection down into something that is just good enough is sickening. 
But hey this is just my conviction. It's not something that I would say is addressed in the Bible, but I suspect that is because they had a true understanding of perfection which we do not have. They had so much respect and lived in such awe for God that they wouldn't even utter His name. But we, in general, throw God's names around like any other word. We talk about so many things being awesome but so few live in unapologetic awe of the God that they "worship" on Sunday's. We want to have the Christian mask but we live, speak, think, eat, laugh, and are just so much like the unrepentant, unrighteous and unsanctified people that are going to spend eternity separated from the creator. I know that we aren't saved through any work that we can ever do, no matter the amount but we can lose our salvations through what we do and I think there are a lot of people who are going to get a bad wake up call when it is too late.
Is saying something is perfect a crime or even a sin, no but I think it's a symptom of our current state of faith.  I read a quote from Leonard Ravenhill (very good writer and theologian if you haven't read any of this books, they will rock you) "I'm astounded, bewildered, confused, baffled when people tell me there are 75 million people in America that are filled with the Holy Ghost and we're the most rotten nation on earth."


Well there's the ramblings for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment