Saturday, June 4, 2016

The other excrement

This one's a little more graphically uncomfortable then I generally go, but the analogy I've concluded seems accurate so I'm going to go with it.

A few years ago I became a big fan of words. The beauty and power and variety of them is still intoxicating to me to this day. They can be used to encourage and empower or to destroy and mislead. Living in the age of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat & other such inventions, words have been diluted, abbreviated and cheapened. What once was a gift from God for us to communicate has become almost worth and at least a reflection of the degraded collective intelligence.
Over the last few years it has become apparent that words have become a sort of third excrement from people. It's become especially clear over the last 6 - 9 months. I've heard from people of many varying worldview who all say words that are worth about as much as what goes in the toilet every day.
I used to view words as a contract. A promise that when stated, was nearly absolute. I still largely live my life that way. When I say something, it happens. If I say something, that is. Because I've come to the realization that words are so over used and under valued, and become even more quiet then I used to be. It's helped me practice my listening skills, which is another facet of basic life that has been drastically misused in the modern age, but that's a rant for another day. And make no mistake about it, this is a rant. 
As far as I'm concerned it's gotten to the point that when people say things, my first instinct is to assume they're lying. Or if not lying then saying something that pretty much is guaranteed to happen a different way. If there's a difference between those two things, I don't really see it but I can't see everything.
But this is what I see and what I've come to despise about so many people. If you say something, keep your word.
Or don't speak.
It's not a crime to remain silent. To refrain from speaking until what you have to say is actual.
Hopefully this doesn't come across as petulant whining because I sincerely have learned not to care what other people say. But it frustrates me that these beautiful words have become so vile through the usage of the masses.
If I were to find a silver lining from it, maybe it would be that having that ideal is a great way to remain distrustful of others. To see each word as untruthful forces discernment and a constant wariness. There are other's out there who mean what they say. There must still be people who value what they say. I don't believe that I am the only one in the billions of living souls who actually means it but there's a definite disparity.
Until I meet some of those like me, I don't have any interest in consuming the excrement that people try to shovel out. It'll keep coming but won't stick on me, not even close. The lesson was painful, and infuriating, but the best ones always seem to be and I'm glad for it because it's helped me see and deflect a whole lot of verbal excrement.
Rant done.

No comments:

Post a Comment