Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend

A week ago I realized that I was coming up to a long weekend because of Memorial day. My first idea was to head to Duluth for the weekend but all the campgrounds were booked up so I went to plan B. So I figured out what it would take to head out west and have some fun. The first stop was the Teddy Roosevelt Park.

Friday came and after taking care of some duties at work, I got the rest of my stuff together and go on the road. I wanted to reach the park before the  information center closed. I basically couldn't stop on the way because of that which was a little rough, even for me. But I got it done.  Found out the best places to see in the park and then went exploring.

I'll keep some of the stories to myself, because I like it that way, but that evening was worth the drive. Then in classic fashion I crashed in my car for the night. I had to break it in for that some time and this was as good a time as any, and better then most. I woke up at dawn, as planned and headed back into the park. After driving for a while I found a great spot to park and watch the sunrise, or at least what I thought would be the sun rise. It was a bit of an overcast morning so it didn't happen as I excepted. So after taking some time to look at it and take some pictures I hopped back in the car and headed up to the highest point in the area.

On Friday when I was told about it that was where I wanted to watch the rise but as things happened in the morning I didn't think it would actually happen. Lo and behold, right about the time I got all the way up to peak the sun was busting out from behind the clouds. After more wondering and picture taking headed back down to keep roaming through the park. A few hours of that elapsed and I was exhausted so I headed back into Medora to check out some shops and just relax, with the intent of more exploring. But once I came down, I didn't have the energy to go back so instead I decided to go to Bismarck.

Once there, I spent the rest of the day just relaxing at a hotel.

Sunday came and it was time to finish the fun. I waited til the last minute to check out so as to hedge my plan a bit in case part of it went sideways. I proceeded to go up to Garrison for a festival that I'd recently found out about. I'll leave it to you to figure out what the festival was about in the photos to come.

After spending a couple hours there, I retraced my path back to Washburn to do some golfing. I got to the course about 10 minutes after their unlimited play began. Then proceeded to play for about five hours. I've played less golf then I anticipated playing to this point in the season but still managed the best round I've had yet.  Taking 10 strokes off without playing felt pretty good, but I did take the unlimited factor at its word and did some practice while I worked through the course, that's why it took five hours.

All that remained was returning home. It was a rough drive which went much later into the night then I wanted but I wouldn't change how the weekend went at all.

If a pictures worth a thousand words then this will certainly be the longest post I've composed but I don't think it's too much.


Teddy Roosevelt Park
































First wild horses













Sunset










Sunrise









Deer Starring contest







Snake way too close to where I was walking



More wild Horses



Bison on top





Prairie Dogs












Skyfest














Golfing on the Prairie





















No comments:

Post a Comment