Monday, June 18, 2012

10 Weeks...

Well the time is time is coming quickly for me to leave. It still feels very recently that I was just finding out that I was going to Kenya definitively and who I was going with. There's been a lot of work done to get to where I am. In addition to the $17,500+ that I've received in donations so far I have received a few very generous pledges which will bring my total to over $19,000.
That still leaves me a long way to go in the process though. I have to reach 95% ($24,225 pledged or donated) before I will be authorized to purchase my plane ticket. In addition to that, I have long list of immunizations that need to be taken care and all the requires of getting my visa. The costs of both the immunizations and the visa are covered by your donations.
To get an even better understanding of other preparatory actions that I am taking go below the jump!

INITIALOUTGOINGEXPENSES(Setup Budget)
Travel - Includes return airfare - 2 tickets
3,300.00
Medical/Travel Insurance
880.00
Mid-Year Conference Cost & Airfare
600.00
Apartment Set-up Furnishings, Etc.
230.00
Language School 3 months
440.00
Miscellaneous (passport, visa, etc.)
300.00
Taxes on Initial Costs
705.60
Bethany Admin Fee (12%) - on Initial Expenses
774.47
First Two Month’s Expenses (see monthly total below)
2,254.34
Total
9,484.61



Expenses (Monthly budget)
Housing and Utilities
170.00
Meals
170.00
Transportation (public transport passes, gas, etc.)
80.00
Base Fee (shared ministry expenses, field assets, ministry transportation)
160.00
Personal Ministry (evangelism, outreaches, field assets, ministry transportation)
75.00
Miscellaneous (clothing, furnishings, postage, recreation)
150.00
Taxes - primarily Social Security
106.40
Tithe
95.00
Bethany Admin Fee (12%) - on Monthly Expenses
120.77
Monthly Total
1,127.17



Budget Summary
Initial Setup Budget
9,484.61
Monthly Budget x 14 months (2 months are setup)
15,780.35
Total Budget
25,264.96
Maximum - 130% of Budget
32,844.45


That is the budget break down for the foreseeable elements of my mission. It's impossible to know and be prepared for every possible thing that could arise.

Beyond just the dollars & cents of it, there is the team that I will be going with. One of the woman, Naomi, is living on campus for the summer and has been working at the same factory as me for the last couple weeks. She spent a few weeks at home to start the summer and made a lot of progress in her fundraising. Mainly through speaking at churches she has gotten very nearly fully funded.
Each of the other members of the team have gone to their respective homes to do fundraising.
The other woman, Amanda, is from southern Minnesota and has been working as a nanny for the summer while she also her fundraising.
Andrew is from Mississippi and has been the most creative of the group in spreading the word about the mission. He's visited churches and businesses all around his community and as of a few days ago was at 70% of the necessary amount.
Joseph is from Maine. He spent the first few weeks of the summer here, but felt like it was right for him to go home. He has the most long term passion for the region of Africa that we are going to be in. Funds have been a little slower coming in for him, but God's Will will be done.
The same can be said for Nathan. He's from rural Kansas and has had a slow time with his fundraising.

The reality of it is that a team of four is likely but with God all things are possible so all six of us could still be on the plane going down.
Communication has been occasional, some text and facebook messages as big things happen but this is a big time in the process so it's none too regular.
Please pray for us.
Pray that all the details fall into place, that motivation is awakened and rekindled. Pray that we all learn the lessons we need to know before we go. Pray that this team would be a team, not 4, 5 or 6 individuals. Pray that our prides would be crushed, that our personalities would compliment each others.  Pray that we would be ready, that the Enemies attacks would be identified and fought against.

It's tiring right now, and I'm admittedly nervous about the whole journey. The team members look to me to be the "leader" and it's a responsibility I want but that terrifies me. Pressure to do everything I want to do and not fail is suffocating. So I need your prayers. Because God's put this group together and I'm supposed to lead it from a student stand point. He will help me, of that I am sure. But I need your help to. Thank you for all the donations that you have given, it's incredibly humbling to me, I'm not done raising yet and would ask that any of you that feel the Lord's leading to give or give again would follow it - prayerfully!
More important now and later though, I need your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really cool thing your doing! You say that you've learned things through this "fundraising" process, what is what are you learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned that even though I am following God it takes 100's of people donating & praying to accomplish even what I am trying to accomplish. Over the years I've heard many Christian radio stations do pledge drives but I know see more clearly the need for them. That it takes a large support base to make things happen.
    I've always garnered a new perspective about being an American. Every area of the world has it's issues. While many of America's stem from it's opulence, that wealth affords myself and many others the opportunity to serve in the capacity of full time ministry.
    Thank you for the question Mike!

    ReplyDelete