Saturday, July 14, 2012

ch, ch, ch, changes

It's been a few weeks since I posted my last time. A lot of stuff has been changing in my life these weeks. Some very significant stuff has gone on concerning my family, my internship and a few things related to my day to day life.

I don't want to put the jump after such a short intro so I'll add a little filler here :). The latest change is after 7 straight summers of making the mid - July journey to Willmar, MN for Sonshine Festival. Pretty much every day this week I have gone through a sort of with drawl because it just feels so unfamiliar right now. I get that I'm saving money and making more by working this week, that's the logical, "positive" spin on the change but really, I don't care too much about it. Instead, I use the reasoning that at the beginning of September I'm gonna go to Sioux Falls, SD for Lifelight Fest and after taking most of last week off to go to Colorado it was bad timing for Sonshine.
Take the jump to get a little bit more of the story!
I was in Colorado for a good reason though. On the 7th of July my older brother, Dan, got married!
So in comparison I wouldn't trade anything for the time that I spent in Colorado to celebrate with him. I've gotten to know his new wife, my sister, through various family get togethers over the last year...year and a half. I honestly couldn't be more happy to have her as my last sister! When the ceremonial story telling time took place I couldn't think of anything else to say but to express that to her.  I've been praying for them and will continue to. Lately I've really been struck by the way that the enemy hates marriage. He wants to destroy it. So I will keep praying for them and for my other siblings in their marriages.
Aside from the wedding being in Colorado was generally a spectacle of beauty in God's creation. Driving through the mountains is always one of my favorite things to do. The drive down was dampened by a phone call that I received minutes before getting fitted for my tux in a Denver suburb.
It was from the director of the Global Internship Director. He told me that because of the violence in the area of Kenya that I was going to be serving in come September. He told me that the decision had been made to close the site in Kenya.
The options given to us were either to defer for a year or join the team going to Thailand. After 8 - 10 months of mental preparation I really didn't want to hear it. I had the next fours of the day to just dwell on it and try to figure out what God would have me do. There are factors that play into the decision I have made, both positively and negatively. 
Well the change was forced upon me so I had to make a choice. I didn't want to deal with it. I just wanted it to go away and not ruin my weekend. But the choice had to be made. As most of you know I've chosen to go to Thailand this year. God's gonna have to help me through the areas that I'm dreading. Anyway, the change was pushed on me and I've done what I could to know God's leading.
After getting to Aspen I got to see my baby niece again! It was just the distraction I needed from the decision and after traveling all day it was great. I had seen her a few weeks earlier and she had been hesitant with me. This time she was walking around like a champ and let me be the first of the uncles to hold her. Honestly was a great change from the first time I saw her. It wasn't like she wouldn't let me hold her before but it was just easier this time.
So the changes have come in abundance. Some good. Some difficult. But they are all pushing me toward my future. It's hard to see where I am going with this path that I'm on and more changes are guaranteed to happen as I live life and keep following God. So that's where I'm at. 
Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment