Thursday, January 29, 2015

Faithfulness from the Smallest

He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.”

Matthew 17:20
What you may or may not know is that the Mustard seed is tiny.



Yeah, super tiny. I'm going to use the analogy in another way, that the smallest act of surrender or devotion to God can come back in mountainous results. Where do I get that?

so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; 
it shall not return to me empty, 
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, 
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it 
Isaiah 55:11 

So why I am bringing this up? 

Well, with the work that I'm doing these days I'm surrounded by people living in opposition to God and like most places I'm discouraged from talking about God, discouraged to say the least. But the difference between what I'm doing now and many other jobs is that the people I work with are so broken. So totally wrecked. We have systems and procedures and goals to try to help them improve and become functional people but from experience I know that it's not enough.

In so many ways I was just like the kids that I work with now. Destructive, reckless, angry with terrible judgement. I even had a tendency to run away, which became a family joke after a while but it's another commonality. I have some of the same diagnoses as these kids. What got me through? What has made me who I am?


Jesus and family.

The 2 things the people I work with are missing. I can't do anything about the families they come from and I'm discouraged from bringing Jesus. Now I don't want to gloss over the truth from Matthew 5:14 - 16

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." 

So being there, just allowing God to shine through, can make an impact and that would be the safe way to operate. Show of hands, can one tell me where it says to play it safe or where the Biblical father's played it safe?
My opportunities are limited. When I find the opportunity to interject Him it seems small. Tiny. Easy to get discouraged from it. Well, for whatever reason tonight God decimated that tonight. That with Him, the smallest things can have a bountiful result.

I don't know what the future holds, but I know that I have a crazy opportunity. Crazy only because of How fantastic God is but CRAZY! Satan will attack the reality of it, no doubt about it. He'll distract and discredit and point out short comings but He can't stand up God.

What God has in store will happen, as long as we stay faithful. Sometimes not even then, but we need stay faithful, even in the smallest of ways!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment