Friday, September 14, 2012

Ezekiel 1: 26 - 28

So those who don't know, I'm a big fan of the Old Testament. The main reason is because of how inaccurately maligned it's been in the modern culture. What I was reading today only lends more creedance to fact that those who think that it's all wrath & law haven't ever read it.
The whole chapter of Ezekiel 1 is mirrored in the account of Heaven given in Revelation, so for just that reason I would say it's worth reading!
Anyway, there was phrase that got me so good.
26 And above the expanse over their heads there was the likeness of a throne, in appearance like sapphire; and seated above the likeness of a throne was a likeness with a human appearance.
27 And upward from what had the appearance of his waist I saw as it were gleaming metal, like the appearance of fire enclosed all around. And downward from what had the appearance of his waist I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and there was brightness around him.
28 Like the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud on the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness all around.
Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord.
And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of one speaking.
It's pretty obvious to me who is being described in those verses. Take a minute to really think about it though. Comparing Jesus to glowing hot metal & to a rainbow are pretty legit comparisons.
When I got to the end of verse 28 though that phrase, "Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord." Made me think of the times when I've been in a meeting or service & phrases are asked for. Things people think of when they think of Jesus.
I've experienced a smidgen of the Glory of God & that phrase has a lot of depth.
like·ness
1. a representation, picture, or image, especially a portrait: to draw a good likeness of Churchill.
2. the state or fact of being like: I can't get over your likeness to my friend.
3. the semblance or appearance of something; guise: to assume the likeness of a swan.
So the appearance of Jesus has many of the same characteristics as the glory of the Lord. When I started looking more into the glory of the Lord as detailed throughout the Bible it struck me that glory is mentioned about other things too.
What I know is that all the attributes of God are limitless so His glory would be too. I had hoped to find a few verses which encapsulated it, but that's a contradiction of mentality. Something that's limitless being captured in a few words, but I looked anyway.
Now that I'm done sidetracking, I still really just have to look at it & marvel. Jesus, the son of man, the son of God has the appearance which is like the glory of the Lord. AWESOME!
I really like Ezekiel's response too. Him & others through the scriptures had such a reverance for God. Nothing kept them from hitting the ground when God was present. Now He's always with us & we barely bat an eye. shame.
God have mercy on us for not realizing. Not understanding. Not responding. Not caring?maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment