Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Being the clay

So one of those really over used church verses is Romans 9:20 - 21. It's not the only reference to God as the potter of our lives, but is one of the most clear about it. I just got a new insight into some thing that is related to that analogy.
But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’” Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?
First let me just give a little background, I like art. Going to art museums, drawing, photography, basically I've tried a bunch of forms and I like many of them. I'm not super artsy but yeah it's one of my interests. Well I've done some pottery in my younger days but only now made a recognition of something - that as the clay is being spun on the wheel a part of the process is to etch engravings and designs in it. It creates uniqueness and beauty within the pot. It happens before the firing, but is often one of the last steps in the molding process.
Well, I've gone through a crazy amount of trials and tough times since coming here and well before too but it's gotten cranked up since I started at Bethany. In my quiet times God will ask me if I want more trials, last year it was often within a few days of the last tough time ending and with an eye looking forward I would say yes. After a few weeks to almost 2 months I would not be enjoying it too much and wouldn't have the best attitude. Not to long after I would remember that time and conversation and have an attitude check. That was the pattern for most of last year and has happened a couple times this year too.
To think of these times as the designs being made in the pot is super encouraging. I don't know how much I have to go through the engraving process but part of me hopes that the firing process is coming soon. That said, I know it's going to be crazy intense so I'm not going to rush it, not that I even could. I have a suspicion that it will come during my time in Kenya but that's too far away for me to know. In any case, it's a good thing and may encourage someone in a tough time. God is still working and He knows what He's doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment