Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lessons of life

Psalm 50 and John 4
Something that I have struggled with mightily this year is understanding my position within the work of God. How I fit. Because He certainly doesn't need me to accomplish all of His plans, but He is gracious to include me. The trouble comes in, because I get so caught up in what I am doing, and I lose sight of the picture being formed by the pieces. God wants willing vessels, and even more than that He wants ones completely surrendered. The people that want nothing of their own lives, but only what God would have. It stuck out to me as I was reading this weekend. God is unencumbered and full able to do all things that He desires, but He allows me to be involved. It takes true humility for us to be in the correct position with this though.

Psalm 49
As I was reading it, the thought that most stuck out to me, was that it was something that I would rarely hear in an American church today. So much of what people believe is based on their wealth and their actions/opinions are motivated by fear. As I read it though, it makes pretty clear statement that that is the wrong way to go about it. Knowing what I know of the Bible, I have seen those message elsewhere - to not esteem wealth and not to live by fear, but so often it happens today for us.  But why? I always come back to why things happen as they do. I won't try to answer, because it is speculation, but ponder why and let God speak, that is what I try to do.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been reading through Psalms, Proverbs and the gospels. I could go back and try to establish things that stuck out to me from those readings, but it would take a lot of time and I would feel the need to keep going back and it's not likely to happen. So I will just start from today.

So in an attempt to be more consistent in my posting, I thought I would start posting some of the highlight points and observations that I have from my daily readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment