Saturday, December 12, 2015

Word(s) of the year

As I'm sure many of you are aware, there's a thing that happens each year at this time, people try to figure out a word for the coming year. Something related to a goal or a piece of information that they feel confident about going into the next year.
And while I am not going to disparage that practice because it's important to have goals and a single word can potentially encapsulate that, I'm going a different direction with this. A word that I think describes my 2015.

That and more after the break!
The word that I think most accurately describes my year is responsibility.
At my one year review one of my supervisors asked me what I thought responsibility meant. At the time I really didn't know how to answer because I had never really thought about the definition of it. In the year since I've thought about what it means to be responsible on a few or more different occasions. I would definite it as taking care of what you commit yourself to do and doing it to the best  of ability.
This is the first full year of my 27 years where I've lived on my own and as my parents can now attest, I pay my rent and for the most part take care of the apartment I live in now (though they always want me to do more cleaning :-D).
I've had a full time job for 2 years, which is like 5-7 years at any other job and way longer then most of my current coworkers. It can be tough in a way that I don't talk about too much but I go into every shift wanting to do the best I can, while admittedly trying to make it as easy as possible as often as possible so that I can keep going and keep doing a good job.
I pay my bills. I try to have fun. I rarely drink. I don't do drugs. I generally try to walk the thin line of honest and respectful.
So as I look back on 2015 I see responsibility as the word that most accurately fits the year. I don't know what 2016 will bring but I'm excited for it and in a year to look back and know what was predominant for it. So while everyone is looking ahead, and understandably so, I'm looking back as well. And before I finish I think it's important to note that the reality that is responsibility is important in pushing to adulthood. Yeah, I'm 27 but I'm just starting to be an adult. I like staying young but try not to let that stop me from taking care of the things that matter, the commitments I make: my responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment