Sunday, October 11, 2015

Blessed

It's been a few days of thinking on this and figured it was time to get my thoughts in order.
I had a question about what it means to be "blessed" so I looked it up in the dictionary. The first definition that was given surprised me in a pretty dramatic fashion.
The dictionary said that it means to be Consecrated but I'll get into it more after the jump.
In American culture people who talk about being blessed are generally interpreted to be Christians and I think that's usually accurate, but it's a buzz word nonetheless.
The normal usage implies being special or having a unique opportunity. That's not inaccurate and to be consecrated certainly is akin to being special and unique but not in the way which is most often used.
The premise of what I'm about to say next is that the first definition of a word is the primary definition.
Maybe you are wondering what it means to be consecrated?
"To make or declare sacred; set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity"
That's what we are in Christ. Sacred.

That's a whole heck of a lot more significant then making a game winning play or having a great job or living in a "safe" location, to mention a few things. That's not to poopoo on those things because those are special and have some significance and value but none of them or many of the other instances which the word is used measure up to being in the Family of the Lord.
For me it's a shift in thought but really, when we follow Jesus, thoughts and actions will be changed by Truth.
I may be short changing it by not continuing to expound on it, but I'm not really a fan of repetition for the sake of repetition which I think it would be in this case.

I'm definitely glad that I have been able to be blessed and hope that others will be blessed as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment