Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A much needed reflection

Today is one of those days to just sit, look out the window and reflect on things, which is exactly what I'm doing. I got my work done for the day and don't go into Walmart til 6 so I have plenty of time to just reflect. I'm not going to go into too much detail about it but I will hit some high points in this post. It's been a while since my last one so I figure this is a good one to make up for the lost time.
I'm not sure if I've said anything about it on here, but I will be going to Kenya in September. That's kind of old news but it's very much effecting much of what I do lately. I have to raise north of $25,000 to cover all the costs of internship. Kind of a crazy amount, but God's made it very clear that I'm supposed to go so I will follow Him in that. To that end I've sent out two newsletters concerning this endeavor. I am going to try to get one out each month but that remains to be seen.
The first one I stretched out over a few days to get done, the second one I got printed and sent in one day. It was a lot of writing, folding and stamping but it's already paying off in responses. In addition to getting that stuff done I've also had to do all my homework for my other classes and been getting quite a few hours at Walmart.
So yeah, I'm pretty darn busy these days but I haven't even hit my wall yet, which means I won't be anytime soon since I'm unwinding during Christmas vacation. Time management is one of the only things that's kept me able to finish. And finish I did. While a lot of my classmates were working up til zero hour to get everything finished I was done with everything a couple days before it was due.
It's easy to work ahead with my own room. To compensate for my squeezed schedule I've kind of gone into isolation. Just sitting behind my desk with nothing but my laptop.
I started hearing form some people that they don't see me as much anymore and yeah that's the direct result of getting everything done.
Well now it's Christmas break and the campus is pretty well emptied of people. I've just gotten started on one of the assignments that I know I will have for next semester. It's a book report and I'm reading a book called "Secrets of the Secret Place." I got it a few years ago but haven't gotten around to reading it til now. It's nice to have a desire to do something that school pushes me to do too. Aside from that, I've been working and enjoying my free hours.
God's definitely been showing me things about myself and about who He is. In all the craziness it's easy to overlook Him, but the only genuine satisfaction in life comes through relationship with God. It's something that keeps coming up and will as I read the book, the reality of abiding with Him. That's when fruit begins to grow, as we are being nourished by the Spirit and the Word. I lose track of that so easily but thankfully the relationship is destroyed through forgetfulness.
It's tempting to want to make that as an excuse but wait too long and it may be too late. I really don't have it too firmly in my thinking yet, but people who think they are saved will and do go to Hell. Man, that causes me to reflect and pray.

So yeah, it's been an interesting couple of weeks. I'm definitely looking forward to the next chapter of school in January, but am going to make this free time as good as possible.
Hopefully it won't take me so long to write the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment