Saturday, October 20, 2012

Memories

It's been a few weeks since I posted & I figured it was time to get back to it. I would have done this one  much earlier, but I've been busy each of the past few weekends & my new job keeps me very occupied during the week. Anyway, here goes.
The idea for this post came about two weeks ago while I was in Minot for my Grandmother's burial. There are things that I remembered specifically of each of my grandparents after they had passed.
Obviously, funerals & burials are times to reflect on loved ones so there had been many stories shared by her children & grandchildren.

No surprise, when I think back on Grandma Jean a lot of it will be around special recipes & how impossible it will be to replicate some of what she made. Also of card games which will never be the same. Of one of the most supportive people there has been in my life & in so many other peoples lives.

It also got me thinking about the prominent memories for my other grandparents.

For Grandpa Don it will always be the quick witted 1 liners & the card games. Often happening in simultaneous fashion. Even now I think of him when I'm talking smack with people over games & sports.

For Grandpa Scheid the memory that will always stick with me center around his crafts. That I missed the opportunity to watch & learn some basic things with him. I was young but was just starting to find that I enjoyed woodworking. There are reasonable reasons why it went that way, but that's not what this is about.

Finally, for Grandma Scheid  I will remember the German heritage. This would also go for Grandpa Scheid but most predominantly of her. As she was slipping away through Alzheimer's she spoke as much or more German then English. I will always remember the Kuchen's that were available whenever we got when we made it out there. I can't even think of a time when I've had homemade Kuchen since the mid - late 90's.

Periodically things I see & use remind me of each of them. For all the things can be attributed to them -lessons & memories, I'll never view it with a negative perspective. I would say that we should all make more of an effort to remember actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment